Wednesday 27 May 2009

In the front seat


first thing:

sing Hickory Dickory Dock

and find shock words to rhyme

with 1 2 3

like bum, poo, pee.

 

Second thing:

wind down a window,

laugh shoulders

at brothers getting cold

and wet with rain.

 

Third thing:

thump me on the arm,

and warm with a smile

‘You OK Dad?’ and I reply ‘Yes, you OK?’

face ahead, say ‘Fine’.

 

Fourth thing:

look sidelong from a knowing eye

as if you clock what’s going on;

that you know I know when I nod back,

that, yes, I get it, this lifetime,

your Work.



5 comments:

  1. I like this a fond one for Dads and even mums everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! A very real and poignant ditty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so so fine and goes absolutely to the very center of what all poetry is ultimately about - exquisite, touching. When I clicked the link I came expecting some Wallace Stevens of a morning if not Sunday and the subject of nothing brings us, as we know, all things, so it was with anticipation that I clicked the link.
    A surprise which did not disappoint.
    Luminous.
    Tender.
    Revelatory.
    Thank you.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete