Monday 7 September 2009

You Beauty

After dinner, Andrew sits on the floor and belts

out notes – off key - from well known power ballads

tilting me back to early family parties

and recent business meetings when I could

and did express my tension, truth or beauty, disregarding.


Then his clamorous song stirs up a heavy

chest, my cave of mouth to a vinegar taste

and tears all dammed with clubby fingers

clenched for every time I couldn’t, didn’t

howl because he's singing out, because he can.



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, excellent. I thought, at 1st, how sweet, how beautiful and then the vinegar taste line struck me. Damn it, you go, man! Sweeter now for that splash of vinegar. Yes. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have known a thousand andrews and each one if as off key as the other. thanks for the memories! good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have known a thousand andrews and each one IS as off key as the other. thanks for the memories! good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poem makes me wish I understood more.

    ReplyDelete